Apply to join our growing editorial team.
+972 Magazine is an English-language, independent, online news and political magazine that publishes on-the-ground news reporting, investigative and in-depth features, analysis, and commentary. The site is committed to professional journalistic standards, democratic values, human rights, resisting the occupation, and freedom of information.
We do not represent nor are we aligned with any other organization, political party, or outside agenda. +972 Magazine is published by non-profit organization “972 – Advancement of Citizen Journalism,” which is also the direct employer of +972 Magazine’s staff.
Now we’re expanding our site and our coverage and we’re looking for a professional journalist fluent in both English and Arabic to join our team of editors.
The editor will work alongside +972 Magazine’s other editors in the day-to-day operation of the website, with a central role in the creation and production of news and analytical reportage. In addition, the new editor will have an ongoing role in helping shape the editorial focus of +972. In particular, the new editor will help expand +972’s coverage of the Palestinian community and diversify the voices published on our platform. The position reports directly to the editor-in-chief.
- Editing articles in English.
- Newswriting and reporting in English.
- Identifying, commissioning, and developing stories.
- Seeking out and developing relationships with journalists to work with +972.
- Monitoring Arabic-language media to inform +972 stories.
- Translation from Arabic to English.
- Helping manage the website and its social media presence.
- Working with +972 writers to develop their reporting.
- Working as a part of the editorial team on a day-to-day basis and participating in weekly editorial meetings.
- Proven experience writing, editing, or producing high-quality journalism in English.
- An intimate familiarity with the political landscape of Israel-Palestine and the wider Middle East. Must be a news/politics junkie. Familiarity with the social, political, and human rights movements active in the local arena is a major advantage.
- Willingness to work flexible hours.
- Ability to work under stress, especially in breaking news situations, and to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Residency in East Jerusalem, the West Bank, Gaza, or Israel.
- A commitment to the basic values of the site: democracy, opposing the occupation, and freedom of information and the press.
- English — Mother-tongue or fully fluent.
- Arabic — Fluent for purposes of news gathering and reporting, translation, media monitoring, and coordination of guest writers.
- Hebrew is an advantage but not a requirement.
Terms of position:
- Full-time, competitive salary, and full social benefits.
- Most of the work is done online from home.
- Fairly flexible hours.
To submit an application please fill out this form and attach a CV, cover letter, two references, and an English-language writing sample by May 14, 2018.
We will respond to all applications shortly after the deadline.
Work begins in early July.
For questions: firstname.lastname@example.org