A selection of articles and stories about asylum seekers and refugees in Israel on the occasion of World Refugee Day. (Full disclosure, I couldn’t include just 10)
It has been more than a decade since refugees from Darfur first began making the dangerous journey across the Sinai desert in order to seek asylum in Israel. Since those early years, Israeli society and successive Israeli governments have become increasingly hostile toward the asylum seekers from Sudan, Eritrea and elsewhere who sought safety and dignity in the country.
On the occasion of World Refugee Day, here is a selection of articles about African refugees in Israel over the years. Since +972 Magazine was founded, we have always put special emphasis on telling refugees’ stories, letting refugees tell their own stories, and documenting their struggles in Israel.
The following list is organized semi-chronologically, with the most recent issues and coverage presented first. Also, check out our full collection of articles on refugees and asylum seekers in Israel.
- Israel’s new tactic for forcing out African refugees — dock their wages
- Netanyahu’s wall isn’t about immigration — it’s about race
- In first, Israel grants refugee status to Sudanese asylum seeker
- It’s been 10 years since I applied for refugee status in Israel
- Israel’s ultimatum to refugees: Indefinite detention or danger
- Exclusive: Despite dangers, Israel sending asylum seekers to home countries
- What does the future hold for non-Jews in the Jewish state?
- A year since protests, detained asylum seekers hint at new strategy
- ISIS executes three asylum seekers deported by Israel
- Marching toward freedom in a fictional plot of land
- Photo diary: Inside Israel’s ‘Holot’ detention center for asylum seekers
- The origins and politics of Israel’s refugee debate
- Portraits: Detained African asylum seekers in Israel
- African asylum seekers strike to demand rights, hold unprecedented rally in Tel Aviv
- Municipal authorities raid and shutter asylum seekers’ businesses in Tel Aviv
- After week in desert, 3 Eritreans taken to...