+972 Magazine an independent online magazine that publishes on-the-ground reporting, investigative and in-depth features, unique analysis, and commentary from Israel-Palestine. The site is committed to professional journalistic standards, democratic values, human rights, resisting the occupation, and freedom of information.
We do not represent nor are we aligned with any other organization, political party, or outside agenda. +972 Magazine is published by the non-profit organization, “972—Advancement of Citizen Journalism,” (972-ACJ) which is also the direct employer of +972 Magazine’s staff.
The editor-in-chief leads and manages a small team of editors and freelance writers in running +972 Magazine in all of its activities and operations. The editor-in-chief is responsible for all journalistic work done by and for the site, for setting its editorial agenda within the site’s mandate, and all publishing and promotional activities.
The editor-in-chief reports to the executive-director of “972—Advancement of Citizen Journalism” in all matters except for editorial decision-making.
The position requires: an open-minded and creative approach to journalism and storytelling; a willingness to confront popular narratives; creative and strategic thinking; and a commitment to the communities in Israel-Palestine working to advance a progressive agenda and end the occupation.
The editor-in-chief position is a unique opportunity to help shape the conversation on Israel-Palestine and lead one of the more exciting projects in the human/civil rights arena at a pivotal moment.
- At least five years experience working in journalism, including at least two years in an editing position
- Management experience
- Strong familiarity with Israeli and Palestinian society, politics, activist movements, human rights groups
- Familiarity with progressive movements around the world, particularly anti-occupation groups
- Cultural literacy in English-speaking and foreign audiences and communities
- Experience commissioning reporting and analysis, ideally in Israel-Palestine
- Familiarity with trends in digital media and technology
- A commitment to the basic values of the site: democracy, opposing the occupation, and freedom of information and the press.
- A working understanding of the legal climate for journalists and publishers in Israel and Palestine and an ability to identify legal risks
- Cultural and political sensitivity to the various communities and narratives in Israel-Palestine
- Strong, proven writing and editing skills and experience
- Strong journalistic instincts and the ability to work under pressure
- Experience managing social media accounts
- Basic understanding of online publishing, including SEO
- Working knowledge of WordPress and Mailchimp (preferred)
- Strong time management, multi-tasking, and delegation skills
- Lead and manage a small team of editors, including weekly editorial meetings, daily supervision, and ongoing training and development
- Ultimate responsibility for all published content, and for the well-being of the site and its team
- Work directly with editors and staff and freelance writers to commission, shape, and produce unique reporting and analysis, including a regular podcast
- Editing and writing
- Oversee content distribution through various channels, including social media and our weekly newsletter
- Identify areas where +972 Magazine can have an added value in shaping the conversation on Israel-Palestine, and design and implement strategies for doing so
- Maintain and develop relationships with organizations, activists, actors, analysts, politicians, +972 writers, and other publications
- Oversee long-term reporting/coverage
- Develop, explore, and utilize innovative storytelling tools and concepts
- Work directly with out-of-house technical, graphics, and legal teams
- Work to grow the site’s audience. Develop creative and strategic ways of engaging our community of readers.
- Coordinate and work alongside Local Call (the Hebrew-language news site co-published by “972—Advancement of Citizen Journalism” and “Just Vision”)
- Work alongside and with +972’s resource development team
- Represent +972 Magazine in public forums, media interviews and other relevant groups
- Native English level (required)
- Very strong Hebrew (required)
- Arabic (advantage)
Terms of Employment
- Full-time, competitive salary, and full social benefits
- Some of the work can be done from home
- Some flexibility in work hours
- The position is located in Israel
To submit an application please fill out this form and attach a CV, cover letter, two references, and two writing samples by June 30, 2019. (The form requires being logged into a Google account. If you encounter any problems, please email us at the address below.)
We will respond to all applications shortly after the deadline.
Work begins in early August.
For questions: email@example.com